16.8.11

Where in the World is...TRoc?

If you caught my last post, you already know that I've been on the road working for the past three weeks. After going nearly three full months without any form of employment, I realized that I probably should find some temporary form of work. Thankfully, the government came calling and offered me work with a "travel team" doing work that, as per the terms of my employment, I am not allowed to speak of within the realm of social media. Well, my "unnamed" and "mysterious" job will go nondescript, but I certainly will talk about all the places I got to see as I traveled our beautiful province of Alberta.


First off, I was sent to Cold Lake, AB, home of Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Cold Lake. I had the opportunity to explore the base and I've got to say it was quite the experience. Although I was "stationed" out of Cold Lake, I actually did the majority of my work in some of the surrounding rural area, as well as Bonnyville, AB, just south south down Highway 28. I spent so much time in Bonnyville, that I actually grew to despise the place. There really isn't anything good about it. The people were grumpy. It was always dusty and windy; never a desirable combination. I finally thought I had found a nice piece of real estate there in the form of a nice green park with a lake in the back...only to discover that this fantastic little oasis in the middle of Bonnyville was garnished with none other than an RV sewage dumping grounds! Are you kidding me?! This brings new literal meaning to the statement "who puts a sewage system near a playground?" You all thought that was just a funny line from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". Go check out Bonnyville and think again.

After finishing up my work in the Cold Lake area, I was shipped down to the industrial boom town of Fort Saskatchewan, AB. While driving some of the local township and range roads, my co-worker and I looked out at the "Fort Sask Skyline" to find that it looked oddly like a futuristic, post-apocalyptic skyline like you see in the movies. Really all we were looking at were the countless processing plants and industrial oil production operations that Fort Saskatchewan is so well known for. Eerie, to say the least. Perhaps it's just foreshadowing. 

After spending three weeks on the road living out my suitcase and eating takeout and Subway to survive, I am back at home in Calgary and couldn't be more happy about that fact. It was nice to have some work for a while, but the life of a traveling employee just isn't one that I can cope with for too long at this point in my life. 

No comments: