11.12.11

Uptight

First off, this is my first December post! Huzzah!

A lot has happened since I last posted on November 26. I will update the past few weeks in a later post.

As is the norm for me, I'm sitting here on a Sunday night with my iPod on shuffle. This old song by Green Day comes on, "Uptight."


First off, for anyone out there who is a "young" Green Day fan (ie. American Idiot/ 21st Century Breakdown young), please do yourself a favour: go out and listen to some old Green Day albums. Please. I promise you that it will be well worth your time. When I say old, I mean early 90s old. Albums like Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod.

Back to my original train of thought. So "Uptight" comes through my headphones and takes me right back to high school. Now you might be asking, why? You have a question. I have an answer.

I pretty much hated high school. It had its moments. My junior and senior years on the football team were highlights. Getting the hell out was probably the next memorable moment.

Just like the song title, I was uptight. To be honest, I am not entirely sure that I have ever met someone as uptight as I was during high school. I was strung higher than Whitney Houston on a week-long cocaine binge. At least she could blame substance abuse. That wasn't an option for me.

I try not to be the guy who points fingers or can't own up and take responsibility for what is his. While I know that there were contributing factors to my unpleasant high school experience, I could have had control but simply refused to take my own life by the reigns. That lack of control is ultimately what made me the unnecessarily high-strung high school kid that I was.

I have pretty much grown apart from the majority of my high school "friends," if they can even be called that. I suppose they were friends at the time. The best of that group have stuck around and I really consider them some of my best friends today. Every once and a while I do wish that I could go back to high school with all of the experiences I've had in the past five or six years and do it all over. I imagine I would probably enjoy high school a lot more and my "friends" would probably enjoy being around me a lot more too. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't always the most desirable bundle of joy to spend time with.

On the other hand, my high school experiences helped shape who I am now... so perhaps without them I wouldn't be me. We could go around in circles all night over that. While I am by no means perfect, I am certainly much more happy with who I am now versus who I was in high school.

On that note, I leave you with "Uptight" by Green Day.


Uptight by Green Day

I woke up on the wrong side of the floor
Made my way through the front door
Broke my engagement with myself

Perfect picture of bad health
Another notch scratched on my belt
The future just ain't what it used to be 
I got a new start on a dead end road
Peaked out on reaching new lows
Owed, paid off all my debts to myself

Perfect picture of bad health
Another notch scratched on my belt
The future's in my living room

Uptight, I'm a nag with a gun
All night, suicide's last call
I've been uptight all night
I'm a son of a gun

Uptight, I'm a nag with a gun
All night, suicide's last call
I've been uptight all night
I'm a son of a gun

Uptight, I'm a nag with a gun
All night, suicide's last call
I've been uptight all night
I'm a son of a gun

Uptight, I'm a nag with a gun
All night, suicide's last call
I've been uptight all night
I'm a son of a gun

Uptight, I'm a nag with a gun
All night, suicide's last call
I've been uptight all night
I'm a son of a gun

Uptight, I'm a nag with a gun
All night, suicide's last call
I've been uptight all night
I'm a son of a gun

No comments: