5.8.12

Dreamed of paradise...

I've always dreamed of laying down roots along the sunny shores of southern California's Pacific coast. 

There is something about living in a small, quiet coastal town that I have always wanted to experience.

Perhaps it's the fact that it would be an entire world apart from everything I've known. Perhaps it would be the kiss of the warm California sunshine. Perhaps it would be the simple fact that it was something new; a fresh start.


I've spent the majority of my life making my decisions based on pleasing others and catering to their needs. A recent change in my life has inspired me to quit doing things to make others happy. As much as I like to try my best to go out of my way for others, I've allowed that mentality to interfere or change the direction of my life on a few occasions.

No longer will I be enslaving myself to others.

I've always wanted to live in a southern seaside town.

I figure at my age and in my current living situation, there is no better time than post-grad 2013 to go and explore the beautiful California coast.

While I haven't put any detailed thought into this, I plan on driving south with a handful of my possessions, a box full of resumes and writing samples and nothing else other than a wide open horizon full of new dreams and possibilities.

The prospect alone makes me smile. And right now, I need this smile more than ever.

I intend on stopping in at local newspapers starting in the Monterey Bay area and all the way south to Encinitas, Calif. leaving resumes, writing samples and hopefully good impressions. If I'm feeling really bold, I might even stop in at radio stations to drop sample tapes.

No matter what happens, I will be going to California. Right now my tentative departure date is sometime in June 2013.

By that time I will have spent seven straight years slaving away at post-secondary institutions. It will be about time for me to reward myself and I can't think of a better reward than to go chasing the beautiful southern California sunset and all the dreams that she holds.


Paradise by Coldplay

When she was just a girl
She expected the world
But it flew away from her reach
So she ran away in her sleep 
And dreamed of para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise
Every time she closed her eyes 
When she was just a girl
She expected the world
But it flew away from her reach
And bullets catching her teeth 
Life goes on
It gets so heavy
The wheel breaks the butterfly
Every tear, a waterfall 
In the night, the stormy night
She closed her eyes
In the night, the stormy night
Away she flied 
And dreamed of para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise 
She dreamed of para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise 
So lying underneath the stormy skies
She said, oh
I know the sun must set to rise 
This could be para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise,
Could be para-para-paradise 
This could be para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise
Could be para-para-paradise 
This could be para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise
Para-para-paradise

1 comment:

Shyguysays said...

It's good to see that I'm not the only one who has grown tired of the problems associated with attempting to continously make others happy. Due to some rather unfortunate circumstances, I've also recently learned that ultimately, I should be looking out for myself first and foremost.

The Californian relocation sounds like it would be quite the adventure! A fresh start in a new locale would certainly be exciting. My two cents: Based on the quality of your blog, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a journalistic position. If you really like working in radio, be bold.

Best of luck sir!