9.3.13

Conquer: March 9

Back on Jan. 25, I spouted off a list of things I hoped to strive towards in 2013. I figure with a month and a half gone, it was time I checked in.

After all, what else is there to keep me accountable?

  1. Drink more tea - I've been crushing green tea, chamomile and fruit herbal teas like nobody's business! In fact, oddly enough, today is the first day in a long time that I can't remember having at least one cup. Consider this one a work in progress that is off to some early success.
  2. Expand my vinyl collection - Not one single new piece to speak of. I'm running on a tight budget (for reasons you will learn of further down the page). 
  3. Expand my music collection - While these aren't artists necessarily new to my library, they are releases new to my library. The Heist by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis has been getting significant airtime in my headphones. I've also been dabbling in the world of trance, thanks to the influence of Kassie Mitchell.
  4. Read more - FAIL. There is nothing more to be said.
  5. Eat healthier - I really think there is moderate success to be spoken of here. As a student, it was super easy for me to eat out multiple times a week. I've cut this down to basically once a week (due only to the fact that we get takeout meals at Monday night editorial meetings). Apart from this, I'm my own sandwich artists, pasta chef, BBQ extraordinaire and soup nazi. It's a good feeling. The biggest change to my eating habits has been a serious infusion of fruit. I've rediscovered my love for blueberries and it is a beautiful thing. I'm still not abiding by any model nutrition plan, but improvement is there and that is what matters right now.
  6. Land a permanent job - FAIL. Not due to lack of effort. I will keep plugging.
  7. Explore somewhere new - I had previously listed three subsections. I would like to add a fourth and new subsection:
    • Move to a new city/town: Still slugging away at school. Not possible yet.
    • Travel internationally: See above.
    • Travel within Canada: See above.
    • Travel through the US: It is quickly becoming a favourite experience of mine to roadtrip down the Pacific Coast, from Seattle south. Once again I will be embarking on this trip in April, this year heading at least as far south as Palm Springs. Who knows what else will be discovered along the way.
  8. Rescue a dog - FAIL. That being said, this is something that needs to be done responsibly and I am not yet at a point where I can responsibly do this. 
  9. Find myself a recreational hockey team - I had a bit of a crushing moment the other night at drop-in hockey when I felt a frightening "popping sensation" in my knee during an innocent turn up ice. The joint is still swollen and stiff, so I'm hoping it isn't anything serious. But this had me seriously reconsidering whether or not I can play hockey anymore. I'll be reexamining this in the future.
  10. Start yoga - FAIL. This is on my list of things to start come summertime. Perhaps it will help with my stiff and sore joints.
  11. Learn to play guitar - FAIL. Right now, I am simply trying to get out of school alive. I realize that making excuses won't get me anywhere.
  12. More music festivals - Coachella is happening! In fact, my wristband should arrive any day. As a part of my coastal roadtrip, I'm hitting the second weekend of the Coachella Music Festival. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. This trip is one of the few things keeping me going right now. 
Last time around I said the list would likely grow. And it actually hasn't really grown at all. I guess I'm mostly been focusing on what I've already got. That being said, I also haven't been thinking about it much.

Anyways, I guess that is where I am at these days.

Conquer...? It's a work in progress...

No comments: