13.11.11

Avalanche

Here I am. Another day and another sleepless night.

I've never been able to wrap my head around it. I love sleep. Give me 24-hours with nothing to do and if there isn't hockey on, I will probably sleep for at least 12- to 14-hours minimum. So why can't I sleep when I crawl into bed at a regular hour?


Anyways, I'm not here to debate or question my insomnia. I always eventually find the pillow and fall asleep. It's usually just later than I hope for.

Since I'm wide awake, I figured I would fire up an update entry for all of my friends in places other than Kamloops.

What is new in my life? Not too terribly much.

I am still loving journalism school. While I have struggled to keep my interest with assignments that seem to continually revolve around city politics and such, I have found that I am warming to news outside of the world of sport. That being said, I still love sport and that is where I hope to end up one day.

Recently in one of my classes, we've entered into a four-week period of photo journalism labs. Essentially it's four weeks of learning how to use a DSLR. I've always wanted to learn how to take professional photos but I could never justify forking over the money for a camera and I never had the time to dedicate to learning the art. Lucky for me, I get to do it in school with faculty equipment.

So far this year, I've had one photograph published in the student newspaper. Interestingly enough, I took it prior to learning anything about the camera. I guess I just lucked out and captured a great shot on a nice sunny day.

This weekend I attended the Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association Cross-Country Running National Championships held here in Kamloops. My goal was to get some practice taking sport photos and I figured this would be a good base level challenge to start out with. Since having a few formal lessons about the camera, I have already noticed an improvement in my abilities with the equipment. Check out my gallery of photos from the CCAA Cross-Country Running National Championships.

Outside of photography, I'm also preparing to experiment with broadcast work. I recently just finished up two training sessions at the local campus radio station, 92.5 The X. After finishing up a few more requirements, the goal is to have an alternative rock radio show up and running before the end of this semester. I won't be doing the show solo because that would just be boring. A friend of mine from within the journalism program is also along for the ride, and we will co-host the show together. The hope is that apart from broadcasting and streaming live, we will fire up our show in podcast form following the live-to-air broadcast. There is even the possibility of an accompanying blog to go along with the podcast version of our show. But one step at a time. Once we have the show lined up then we will take a look a few steps beyond.

On that note, I should return to the pillow and try to fall into dreamland. Here's a song that I've listened to a few times today. I don't think I have posted any Matthew Good on here yet, likely to the delight of David Charlton (if of course he reads this, which I doubt he does because I'm probably not hipster enough for him). That being said, he can't criticize me because he has been promising the world a music blog for months and has yet to follow through. That is unless of course he has started some hidden music blog. This might not be a full-fledged music-only blog, but I touch on it often enough. In your face Charlton! Enjoy this Matthew Good track called "Avalanche".


One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other 
One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other
On days like these
You've gotta find it in some other way
It's all or nothing, baby 
Avalanche, start inside of me
Avalanche, down through the trees
Avalanche, start inside of me
Avalanche, hell down through the trees 
If everyone's a casualty
Then take your time, there ain't no trouble
If the weather's fine and we're feeling crazy
There's always drinks and dancing in the rubble 
I'm spinning and you're spinning
The world's spinning and we're laughing
And I'm charming, the devil's charming
And we're ruined but we're building 
And I'm selling and you're counting
The world's stopping but we keep going
And we're ruthless and we're cunning
And I'm heir to it all 
I'm heir to it all
I'm heir to it all
I'm heir... 
On days like these
You've gotta find it in some other way
It's all or nothing, baby 
Avalanche, start inside of me
Avalanche, down through the trees
Avalanche, start inside of me
Avalanche, hell down through the trees 
This key is to your kingdom
This key is to your heart
Neither one is a doorway
But both of them a part 
One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other
One foot in front of the other

No comments: