4.11.11

An open letter to student politicians

Hello Mr. or Ms. [Insert full name & highly-regarded student political position here],

On behalf of all student journalists around campuses Canada-wide, I would like to thank you for everything that you do not do. I would also like to thank you for staring condescendingly down your extremely large nose at me.

Having been involved in student politics for three years, I feel as though I can fairly criticize you.


When a student journalist contacts you for opinion on an issue, please realize that we are not always writing an article based solely around your opinion. While you are important and your opinions matter, they aren't always worth their own report. There are people out there other than you whose opinions matter, sometimes more-so than your own.

Shocking isn't it?

Don't be so vain.  Not everything is about you. You aren't the prime minister. And probably won't be. Ever.

Here is a tip I will share with you for future use: just answer the question. Don't make assumptions. I'll write the article and interview the appropriate sources. I don't need you to tell me who I should be interviewing. I know who I should be interviewing.

Here is an idea: I'll be the journalist and ask the questions; you be the politician and answer the questions.

It's so simple, I think I might cry.


Kindest regards,

Student journalist looking for supplementary opinions not full-fleshed political arguments

No comments: