17.1.12

Great covers are hard to come by

Cover songs are always worth a listen. Sometimes they are so good that most people mistake them for being the original recording. Take Johnny Cash's Hurt. It was a cover of a Nine Inch Nails original written by Trent Reznor.

More often than not a cover song is also very forgettable. If you are lucky enough, you find yourself a cover that simply does justice to the original piece.


A year or so ago I became really interested in tracking down solid cover artists on YouTube. The good cover artists were few and far between on YouTube. To be honest, most of what I found was not only forgettable, it was actually regrettable.

And then I found Hayley Legg.

She had covers of OutKast, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons, Rod Stewart and more. She was from Australia and had a great voice. She played guitar, ukelele and recorded all of her own stuff. I immediately purchased her cover CD and original CD.

As time passed and her activity slowed on YouTube, I forgot about Hayley Legg. In my normal fashion, I recently rediscovered Hayley Legg. To my delight, she has uploaded a bunch of new songs and has also released a new cover album. I encourage you to check out her YouTube page and listen to some of her cover songs and original work.

Here is a little taste-test. Enjoy Hayley Legg's cover of Breakfast at Tiffany's by Blue Something.

No comments: