28.1.12

Jack of all trades

Earlier this week I was hired as the roving editor of my campus's student newspaper, The Omega. First off, I feel extremely lucky to have been successful as I was in the running against an extremely versatile and talented group of applicants.

In my first week on the job, I was given three very different assignments: dodgeball, hip-hop music and food bank services.


My first assignment was a somewhat familiar one as I was sent to cover the Kamloops Dodgeball League. In my past university life, I was deeply involved with the Lister Dodgeball League at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

I was also assigned a unique album review. Blunts and Roses is a Canadian hip-hop duo that has thrown together an album powered by classic rock sampling. While I've covered a concert or two in the past, this was my first album review. It was an interesting album to review without a doubt. I will post the official video for the first single at the bottom of the page.

My most important assignment was also serious one. The TRU Students' Union Food Bank has struggled at various times in recent months and some students have gone hungry as a result. Bringing attention to an issue as serious as this was difficult but rewarding.

I already feel as though my ability to write a news story has improved this week. With a number of very different assignments, I was able to experiment with and utilize some equally different styles and voices.

I'm looking forward to continuing my learning and contributions at The Omega. As my pieces are published online I will fire up links so you can give them a read.

Until then, here is Get What Ya Want by Blunts and Roses.

No comments: