31.1.12

Untitled poem for my father

I'm not going to claim to be a poet, or know the next thing there is to know about poetry. To be honest, I just had an idea, a feeling, an emotion and I ran with it. This is the result:

This is a poem for my father
whose advice I've ignored numerous
     times

whose knowledge and wisdom
has fallen on deaf ears
being ignorant  and naive
hard lessons learned time and
     again
frustration in defeat, stubborn
too proud to admit being wrong
for years we battled, unable
to see eye-to-eye on most
     simple matters
but now it is different
you are there for me, just as before
but now I know
you were always there, and
you always cared
before I was too blind to recognize
you only wished to see
me succeed in all endeavours
because you are my father
whom I look up to every day
so I write this for your patience,
     appreciation
and to tell you father, that
I love you.

No comments: