6.2.12

Time flies when you're having fun

Holy smokes, it is February kids! What happened to January?! What happened to 2011??? I am getting old and it is happening way too fast for my liking these days.


That being said, I am actually quite enjoying life right now. I'm the busiest that I have been since my days working in residence life back at the good ol' University of Alberta.

I can't remember if I have touched on this already or not, so I will touch on it right now. After all, touching is usually a good thing. As long as you keep it PG. This will probably be G-rated because I'm gangster like that. (See what I did there? Clever I know, you don't have to tell me.)

For the first time since 2006, I am taking FIVE university courses. Shocking, right? FIVE. The last time I attempted that feat, I managed to fail one of those five courses. It was ECON 101 at the U of A. I did so well in that class that I can't even remember whether or not it was macro- or micro-economics. Whoops. Sorry mom and dad. At least I kept the textbook as a reference.

Anyhow, this time around I am a seasoned veteran in this whole university game. I have a lot more confidence in my ability to succeed. It also helps that I have a passionate interest in what I am learning this time. Let's face it, even economics majors hate ECON 101.

On top of my course load, I'm also working with the student newspaper. I'm at the end of my second week there and I am enjoying the experience just as much as I thought I would.

This week I finally had the opportunity to write a hockey story. For those who know me, it won't come as a surprise when I say that I have been dying to write a hockey story ever since arriving here in August. I was extremely pleased with how my first hockey piece turned out. Keep your eyes peeled here for a link to the article when it is released in the coming week.

Life goes on as I continue to do some programming at the campus radio station as well. Threat Shark continues to improve and I continue to find more comfort behind the mic and in programming on the air. While I enjoy the art of print journalism, this little radio gig is making me wonder if I should be exploring the broadcast side of things.

On that note, I should really be exploring the thought of going to bed. In true "Up All Night" fashion I am "penning" this shortly after 1 a.m. Perfect.

Who knows when I will get around to posting next. I will try to keep things regular on here. In the meantime, check out some of my latest pieces and photography for The Omega, TRU's student newspaper.

November 23, 2011 - photo credit for Current Swell concert review
November 23, 2011 - Arkells rock in the heart of the city (concert review & photo cred)
January 24, 2012 - Unique circumstance calls for unique protocol
February 1, 2012 - TRU law student forms recreational dodgeball league
February 1, 2012 - High demand puts strain on TRUSU Food Bank
February 1, 2012 - Blunts & Roses green out with latest effort

I haven't done enough of this lately, so I am going to throw it back and end things with a song.

I've been listening to a lot of Tom Cochrane lately. As I wrote this up "All the King's Men" came on. A few years back Cochrane released an acoustic album that he recorded while on the road touring. I absolutely love Tom Cochrane and despite this not being a studio album featuring original material, it is an instant classic.



All The King's Men (Acoustic) by Tom Cochrane

Shut your eyes my darling
There's nothing you can say
The man in the moon won't fall on you
He doesn't live there anyway 
You don't have to be a soldier
To fight in your private war
Let the blood you might see rain down on me
You don't have to fight no more 
There's nothing you can say
There's nothing you can send
There's nothing that can change all that
Not all the king's men 
I ride upon your stallion
You ride upon my mare
And we'll ride so far and ride so hard
Far away from here 
And when we look back upon there
It all will become so clear
And the gates will open up for us
And we won't have no more fears 
There's nothing you can say
There's nothing you can send
There's nothing that can change all that
Not all the king's men 
Look away, look away
You might be tired and troubled
But not today 
And when they come down upon you
I won't let them get anything on you 
And we'll dream away
All those fears and troubles may look away 
We both were motherless children
They sent us separate ways
But the family scene beat down on you
Mine, it was okay 
I've come to take you back May
To save you from this fate
They won't have any more chances
To treat you in this way 
There's nothing you can say
There's nothing you can send
There's nothing that can change all that
Not all the king's men 
Look away, look away
You might be tired and troubled
But not today 
And when they come down upon you
I won't let them get anything on you
And we'll dream away 
All those fears and troubles may 
Look away, look away
You might be tired and troubled
But not today  
And when they come down upon you
I won't let them get anything on you
And we'll dream away 
All those fears and troubles may look away
Shut your eyes my darling
There's nothing you can say
The man in the moon won't fall on you
He doesn't live there anyway
 

No comments: