15.2.12

Threat Shark Lost Tracks Vol. I

When doing the programming for Threat Shark, Kergin and I often run into one consistent problem: we have far too many great tracks that we want to play and not enough time to play them all. As a result, we often end up cutting some amazing selections. Depending on the week, sometimes he leaves rattled and other weeks it is me who is choked that I didn't get to play "my track."


Two weeks ago our theme on Threat Shark was "Road Trip!!!" For some reason that day I was just a fiend for NoFX. Some days I get that way. I just wake up and all day I have this insatiable desire to listen to a specific song, band, album, etc. 

Anyhow, I got away with playing two NoFX songs, Champs Elysees and We Called It America. That being said, I ended up having to cut my favourite of the three NoFX tracks that I had planned on playing.

Straight Outta Massachusetts comes from NoFX's EP Cokie the Clown. It's a super simple and super short song. That's what I love about it. It also helps that I'm a Boston Bruins fan and the whole song is about leaving Massachusetts.

This past week's Threat Shark theme was "The Sun, Moon and Stars." The options were endless for this episode. Personally, I think this may have been our best episode in terms of musical selection. I was absolutely pumped about the tunes we played. What made the show even better was that we also hosted our first in-studio guest, Marvin Beatty.

Because our selection of music was so great for this episode, a lot of great stuff got cut. One particular track that I was excited to play ended up being cut.

Maurice is a Victoria band that I heard way back during my first year of post-secondary at the University of Alberta. It blows me away that I first saw Maurice in 2006, more than a half-decade ago. It also scares me that I started university six years ago and I'm still plugging away today.

Anyhow, I had lined up to play Rockstar off of Maurice's 2010 album, Young People with Faces. Unfortunately it got the axe. This is the second time that I have tried to play Maurice on Threat Shark and it has been axed. One day, Maurice. One day.

Enjoy Straight Outta Massachusetts by NoFX.  The best copy of Maurice's Rockstar that I can find is this poor live recording. Check it out and do yourself a favour by purchasing the 2010 album, Young People with Faces.



Straight Outta Massachusetts by NoFX

I moved from Massachusetts 'cause I couldn't be controlled
I moved from Massachusetts 'cause it was f***in' cold
I moved from Massachusetts 'cause I wanted to ten fold
I moved from Massachusetts bceause my house got sold 
Straight outta Massachusetts
Straight outta Massachusetts 
I moved to California, I heard it was the place to be
I moved to California to the San Fernando Valley
I moved in with my mother 'cause I could afford the rent
I moved to California, they thought I had a speech impediment 
Straight outta Massachusetts
Straight outta Massachusetts
Straight outta Massachusetts
Straight outta Massachusetts 
I moved from Massachusetts 'cause I couldn't be controlled
I moved from Massachusetts 'cause it was f***in' cold
I moved from Massachusetts 'cause I did what I was told
I moved from Massachusetts when I was five years old




Rockstar by Maurice

Under the bridge tonight and safe from the traffic jams
In spite of ourselves we yell obscenities
Don't lose your voice over this, we kiss and I choose not to care
Whatever was hiding there, it's not a big problem 
If you want it, don't be scared, just get up and take it
It's there for you 
Look at the sun in his eyes and isn't he handsome for his age group
It's all I despise, the rise and the fall it was all that I stood for 
If you want it, don't be scared, just get up and take it
It's there for you
If you want it, don't be scared, just get up and take it
It's there for you 
If we break up, we can get back together 
Under the bridge tonight and safe from the traffic jams
In spite of ourselves we yell obscenities 
If you want it, don't be scared, just get up and take it
It's there for you
If you want it, don't be scared, just get up and take it
It's there for you 
If we break up, we can get back together 
Rockstar
Don't lose your voice over this 
Rockstar
Don't lose your voice over this 
Rockstar
Don't lose your voice over this 
Rockstar
Don't lose your voice over this 
Rockstar
Don't lose your voice over this 
Rockstar
Don't lose your voice over this 
If you want it
If you want it
If you want it
If you want it
If you want it
If you want it
If you want it
It's there

No comments: