26.2.12

Weaving a tale...

I just finished working on another modelling assignment for a writing class I am currently enrolled in. This time around, I was struggling to come up with a unique topic from my own experiences to use as material for this model. With my trusty iPod at my side, I was struck with a curious idea. Why not try to string together a story using various song lyrics from the discography of one of my favourite artists?


I settled on Matthew Good. Using song lyrics from various albums and years, I was able to string together a short story about a guy named Tyson, an unpredictable and unhappy guy who was unwelcome among his peers. There is no real significance to the name Tyson. I just chose it arbitrarily.

Here is a list of the Matthew Good songs that I sampled lyrics from in order to put this piece together. In brackets is the album that the song originated from.

  • Weapon (Avalanche)
  • In a World Called Catastrophe (Avalanche)
  • Avalanche  (Avalanche)
  • If I was a Tidal Wave (Unreleased B-Side)
  • A Single Spark (Hospital Music)
  • Apparitions (Underdogs)
  • Volcanoes (Vancouver)
  • Us Remains Impossible  (Vancouver)
  • Indestructible  (Underdogs)
  • Lullaby for the New World Order  (Avalanche)
  • Born Losers  (Hospital Music)
  • Hello Time Bomb (Beautiful Midnight)
  • Fated (Lo-Fi B-Sides)


Check it out.

----------

He was a weapon of mass destruction - edgy and intense, living in a world called catastrophe, he comes and goes. He was powerful and destructive at every turn, infamous for his wit and for the cruel and cutting blade of his sharp tongue.

Tyson was an unpredictable ball of fury in the presence of others. He was often compared to violent natural disasters and avoided by those who knew him. He was an avalanche; hell down through the trees. He was a tidal wave who rose up and crashed castle gates. He was a single spark explosion. He couldn't write love songs and he was hard to be around. He was the rat in your brain. He was bright, dark, volcanic, catastrophic, impossible and indestructible.

Tyson was given a choice; he was given a voice and all he did was abuse it. Others were always disappointed - traipsed across the continent, he was a squatter, a time bomb ready to go off. He longed to be dead, to swim with the fishes.

No comments: