10.6.12

Where u goin?

I bought the Arkells' first album, Jackson Square on a hunch. I really didn't know anything about the band or the album other than the fact that they were Canadian and supposedly worth listening to. Not much to work with.


Instantly, I fell in love with Jackson Square and the Arkells, in particular, the song John Lennon really resonated with me.

Early my first semester of classes at Thompson Rivers University, the Arkells made a pit stop in Kamloops at a grungy little club on Victoria Street. I had seen the Hamilton rockers in Sept. 2010 during an outdoor festival in Edmonton. There was no way I was going to pass up seeing them play in an intimate setting like this.

I was lucky enough to get into the show, grab some photos and write a review that would be picked up by the local daily newspaper in town.

Since Jackson Square, the Arkells have released their second album, Michigan Left. While Jackson Square was definitely a home run in my eyes, they exceeded expectations with Michigan Left.

Since getting to Toronto and being left iPod-less, I have relied on CBC Music to get me by. Chances are you already knew that if you've been reading here for a while haha. The Arkells have kept a pretty extensive catalog of music available for streaming on CBC Music and regularly take advantage of that.

Typically, when a song hits home with me, it is because I relate to the lyrics in one way or another. Other times, I really feel the lyrics without quite understanding why. The latter is the case here.

Where U Goin' is probably one of my favorite tracks off of Michigan Left. The music video is also a hilarious throwback to some of the very first music videos of the 1980s. Enjoy!


Where U Goin' by Arkells

Now I heard about your hometown
From my cousins who live there
And I heard about the gold found
Enough for everyone to share 
And I heard about the numbers
And I heard they were high
Nobody likes to t-t-talk about it
But everyone knows why 
You keep telling me I'm alright
You keep telling me I'm fine
You keep telling me I'm alright
But I can see it in your eyes 
They never took you to Toronto (well I heard about the gold found)
You've never been down to Detroit (enough for everyone to share)
But talk about chemical valley (no one likes to talk about it)
Like you never seem to care (oohh ohh ohh ohh)

You keep telling me I'm alright
You keep telling me I'm fine
You keep telling me I'm alright
But I can see it in your eyes 
As we sit by the wall
In your room in Brandon Hall (tonight)
You can tell in this light
They're just all bricks painted white (tonight)

And you know in your bones
This might never feel like home
Tonight (tonight, tonight)
403, 401, 402 you're on the run (tonight, tonight)
Ohh tonight! Oh!

You keep telling me I'm alright
You keep telling me I'm fine
You keep telling me I'm alright
But I can see it in your eyes, yeah I can see it in your eyes!

You keep telling me I'm alright
You keep telling me I'm fine
You keep telling me I'm alright
But I can see it in your...

No comments: